Why You Should Have Home & Contents Insurance

Categories: Personal InsurancePublished On: 20/12/20214.3 min read

One of the two basic types of home insurance is home & contents insurance.

It protects the contents of your home in the event of theft, loss, or damage. It also cover situations beyond your control, such as fire, theft, storms, floods, ground movement beneath your property (also known as subsidence), and water leaks.

Home insurance is only required if you own the property. Contents insurance can be purchased separately or as part of a combined policy that also covers the structure of your home.

Why should you consider it?

Your house is so much more than just a physical possession. Because home is a place of protection, security, familiarity, and comfort – a severe weather event, an accident, or a home invasion could cost you more than just money. That’s why it’s important to safeguard your valuable property with great insurance to make sure you have the right type and amount of coverage in place to protect your home and belongings.

And in an unfortunate event that your home and contents were damaged or destroyed, or say some of your belongings were stolen, and you don’t have the budget to replace them right away, the home and contents insurance will cover it for you.

If you have a mortgage on the property, in most cases the lender requires it to have home insurance coverage.

Home Insurance inclusions depend on your policy but can have the following:

  • Home Insurance: protects and covers your property against natural calamities such as floods, earthquakes, explosions, fires, storms, and lightning strikes. And if ever some unfortunate events like breaking-in, vandalism, or liability to third parties occur, your house insurance got it covered.
  • Contents Insurance: this one protects all your valuable possessions, in the moment that they’re damaged or stolen, you can have them either repaired or replaced. Possessions like furniture, sporting equipment, electronic appliances, or jewelry are covered with this insurance.

However, there are some exclusions and things Home and Content Insurance can’t cover, most of the time they are excess or limits regarding their coverage. So having an insurance broker is recommended for you to know the limits and scope of your insurance. Also, don’t forget to ask for a PDS or Product Disclosure Statement from your broker.

What is a Product Disclosure Statement?

This is a document that your insurance provider should give you when they recommend or offer you certain insurance. This document contains all the information about the insurance being offered, all the fees, risks, and benefits of insuring your possessions, and the complaints handling procedure if ever you’ll encounter problems regarding your insured properties.

In deciding whether to acquire your Home and Contents Insurance, the PDS (Product Disclosure Statement) is a must since it contains everything you should consider before insuring your property. It will also help you decide if you want to continue holding your insurance once you get one.

For your Home & Contents needs, feel free to contact any of our Insurance Broking experts by contacting us on 02 6382 6022 or emailing us at young@armainsurance.com.au.